Carers UK is an inspirational charity who provide carers with an amazing support network. They understand that caring comes with its many challenges, and are happy to listen, provide information and advice and support carers in finding ways to manage. Their main goal is to make life better for carers.
"Across the UK today, 6.5 million people are unpaid carers, supporting a loved one who is older, disabled or seriously ill."
Who are they?
Carers UK was established in the 1960s and is the UK's only national membership charity for carers. As well as a supportive community, they are also a movement for change. Carers UK is passionate about bringing carers together to support each other and to have a voice. The charity offers a community for carers to share their own experience and support each other.
A Board of Trustees is responsible for ensuring that the charity and everyone that works for it operate within the increasingly complex legal framework. All Trustees are unpaid volunteers many with their own experience and skills in caring.
What do they do?
With help from the public, Carers UK can be there for the 6,000 people who start looking after someone every day. They can provide expert advice, information and support tailored to everyone's situation. They don't mind how complex a carers query is, they're always ready to help!
Carers UK strongly believes that 'no-one has to care alone'. The charity has its own volunteers who reach out to local communities throughout the UK and online to help connect carers with one and other. Other carers understand what you are going through and can offer you moral support.
The online community is available 24/7 so that carers can receive support whenever they need.
To connect carers within their local communities, Carers UK has recruited over 250 volunteers. Their Local Ambassadors are reaching out to carers and putting them in touch with help from the charity and local support. Awareness Volunteers distribute publicity in their local community. Carers' groups are held in communities and all volunteers have experienced being a carer themselves at some point. Carers UK runs awareness campaigns to reach out to carers across the UK.
Carers UK has been campaigning for 50 years and brings carers together to have a voice and create a lasting change. They are determined to keep going until the day that everyone can look after their loved ones without having to put their own lives on hold.
They make sure that carers' voices are heard by decision-makers at the very highest level to influence and change policies for the better. Their media work is also helping to improve the public's understanding of how caring affects people's lives. Examples of recent campaigns are 'Give us a Break' & 'Fairer for Carers'.
Carers UK is always on the lookout for new ways of supporting carers more effectively. Having a community of carers with all kinds of care experiences has given Carers UK a great source of insight into how they can improve. They continuously work alongside other charities and the local authorities to help provide a better service for carers.
The innovative charity provides training to healthcare professionals, social workers and other professionals on topics including community care law and carers' rights. The training can be provided face-to-face or online.
Technology is a huge industry today, with 1 in 3 of us using health and care technology. Carer's UK is using their knowledge to help develop products which may be useful for carers. They have a mobile & online app called Jointly which has been designed to make life easier for families who share care.
How you can help
- Pay in donations - Carers UK can accept donations online, by cheque, bank transfer or card
- Donate in memory - Arrange a collection in memory of someone special as a positive way to remember them and celebrate their life
- Donate in celebration - Ask for people to make donations rather than give you a gift for your birthday
- Payroll giving - Make a regular donation to Carers UK through Payroll Giving
- Leave a legacy - Leave a gift to Carers UK in your will to help the charity continue their support to carers
- At school, college or university - Bake sales, fun runs, jumble sale, disco
- At work - Bingo, coffee mornings, quiz night
- In your local community - Washing cars, garden maintenance, baking stall
- With friends - Games night, eating competition, walk for a purpose
- Marathon - Click here to find Marathon's you can run for Carers UK
- Cycle - If you love to cycle, why not join a ride for Carers UK! Click here to find rides taking place this year
- Quiz - Organise a quiz at your local pub to raise money for Carers UK
- Skydive - This one is for thrill seekers! Ask friends, family & colleagues for donations towards Carers UK to do a skydive
- Events Volunteer - Helps at challenge and promotional events which raise funds and awareness for Carers UK.
- Local Awareness Volunteer - Helps Carers UK connect with carers and promote awareness of caring by distributing publicity material within local communities
- Workplace Champion - The vital link between Carers UK and your colleagues. They spread the word about caring and raise awareness of Carers UK in the workplace.
- Social Media Volunteer - Helps to spread the message of Carers UK to those who need them through social media posts.
- Insight Volunteer - Share their caring experiences and insights to help Carers UK investigate new areas of research and develop or evaluate key services and products.
Partner your business with Carers UK - they love talking to companies about ways that they can work together! Partnering with Carers UK allows a business to:
- Develop staff skills such as teamwork and customer loyalty
- Attract, motivate and retain staff
- Increase brand awareness
- Help with integrating local communities with Carers UK and your business