Live chat
Speak with a care advisor.
Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

4. Choosing a Care Home Provider

Help & advice

This article has been created to provide advice on what to look for and the questions you should ask when choosing a care home.

Share this article

Making a complaint about a Care Home

Hopefully you will never need to make a complaint about a Care Home but it’s good to be aware of the various people you should talk to. In some instances the complaints procedure if you’re self-funding your care is different to if your care is being state-funded.

If your care is being funded by your local authority then the Director of Social Services at your local council has overall responsibility for your care. If your local authority commissions a care home to provide care services, they are still accountable for the quality of care you receive. We advise making a formal complaint to your local authority if your care is state-funded and you have cause for concern.

For people who are self-funding their care then the local authority holds no responsibility for the quality of care you receive. In this instance complaints should be raised directly with the care provider.

Healthcare professionals have a legal obligation to provide a certain level of care; legal action can be taken against individuals who are not meeting these standards. Nurses are governed by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) and required to adhere to the NMC code. Whereas the Health and Care Professions Council is responsible for regulating social workers. Should you wish to complain to the NMC about a nurse then you can download the appropriate form here; should you wish to complain about a carer then the complaints procedure is documented here.

Unfortunately, there have been serious care scandals in the past, including physical and sexual abuse. If you have a concern and or evidence of abuse within a care home, towards yourself or others, then you should call the police on 999 or 101 in less urgent cases.

The Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB) provides further useful information regarding making a complaint, visit your local office or view the information they have available via their website.